To shape artistic vision and prepare students for a life of experiences with visual art through systematic development of their visual sensitivity and technical skills in studio practice. This artistic vision is grounded in the study of art history and expanded through advanced studio work.
As students participate in courses in the Art Department, our goals are for them to:
- Develop an appreciation of the elements of art and the principles of design in artworks.
- Understand the techniques, art materials, tools and processes used in various media.
- Understand how viewing and interpreting artworks is enhanced by knowledge of the content of art.
- Understand art, including their own, in a historical context.
- Understand art theory as it applies to art history.